Go-busters to Power Rangers
WARNING: This document contains significant spoilers for Go-busters and (at least to some extent, if it's ever adapted) Power Rangers.
This guide outlines how Power Rangers could adapt the 2012 super sentai, Tokumei Sentai Go-busters.
Go-busters stars a team of "Spy Rangers" who, along with their Droids, attempt to prevent their city's experimental energy from being used by an evil computer virus to break free from subspace and take over the world.
|Red||associated with the Cheetah.|
|Blue||associated with the Gorilla.|
|Yellow||associated with the Rabbit.|
|CheetahDroid||Red's personal droid, which can transform into a motorcycle.|
|GorillaDroid||Blue's personal droid.|
|RabbitDroid||Yellow's personal droid.|
|Cheetah Cycle||Red's motorbike, which is the alternate form of the CheetahDroid.|
|Binocular Blade||The Rangers' binoculars which can transform into daggers.|
|Lens Blaster||The Rangers' cameras which can transform into blasters.|
|Spy Shooter||A combination of the Binocular Blade and the Lens Blaster.|
|Cheetah Car||Red's vehicle. Can transform into the Ace Megazord.|
|Gorilla Truck||Blue's vehicle. Can transform into the GorillaZord.|
|Rabbit Copter||Yellow's Zord. Can transform into the RabbitZord.|
|Ace Megazord||Red's Megazord transformed from the Cheetah Car. Can transform into the CheetahZord.|
|Buster Megazord||A combination of the Ace Megazord, GorillaZord and RabbitZord.|
|Virus||Evil computer program bent on world domination. Appears as a disembodied head.|
|Enter||Human villain, responsible for creating the monsters that attack the city.|
|Armor-Bots||Purple foot soldiers.|
|Mechs||Monsters that are created by Enter.|
|Robos||Giant robots that are unleashed on the city.|
Each sentai episode is briefly summarized in blue. Most usable sentai footage is listed in black bullet points. How the footage can be used is in italics. Mark's guess as to how/if the episode will be adapted is summarized in green.
As Blue and Yellow attempt to track down an enemy, Red makes his debut.
- In a dream/flashback, several giant robots land in a city. They converge on a tall building in the center (later revealed to be an energy tank), blasting it and causing an explosion that wipes out the city.
- In a garage, the Cheetah Cycle nervously 'paces' in front of a briefcase which bears the Rangers' logo. It later transforms into the CheetahDroid and grabs the briefcase.
- Blue and Yellow take on two Armor-Bots in a building, before taking the battle outside and destroying the two with their Lens Blasters.
- GorillaDroid is briefly seen pacing nervously in front of the Ace Megazord.
- Blue and Yellow confront Enter on top of a building, but are held at bay by his tentacle-like wires.
- In a junkyard base, the Bulldozer-Robo is transported out of a holding bay.
- Blue and Yellow confront a Bulldozer-Mech and take it on, doing badly.
- Bulldozer-Robo lands in the city and starts attacking the energy tank.
- From an underground Zord bay, the Cheetah Car is launched.
- As Red rides the Cheetah Cycle through the city, the Cheetah Car arrives and swallows them up. As the cycle transforms into Droid mode, Red is taken to the Zord's cockpit. The car then gains a Cheetah-face.
- The Cheetah Car blasts the Bulldozer-Robo with missles, before transforming into the Ace Megazord
- Bulldozer-Robo and the Ace Megazord blasts missiles at each other (during which the Megazord saves a building from collapsing). The Ace Megazord then transforms into the CheetahZord and attacks Bulldozer-Robo directly (before transforming back into Megazord mode).
- The Ace Megazord, slices and destroys Bulldozer-Robo as Blue and Yellow destroy Bulldozer-Mech.
The opening battle between Blue and Yellow and the Armor-Bots is mostly brief shots that were shown during the opening credits, but are certainly usable if inserted correctly. Otherwise, some original footage would need to be filmed. Parts of the battle against Bulldozer-Mech include a countdown timer in the corner, so this would need to be refilmed if the timer wasn't adapted (which is likely, given it contains Japanese characters). The majority of the battle against Enter is unusable since he is a human villain, although the shots of the Rangers avoiding is tentacles could be used. When the Ace Megazord and its animal mode first appear they are accompanied by subtitles giving their names (MMPRv2 style), it's unknown if these will be kept for future appearances.
Mark's guess: While the majority of the footage is usable, I can see it being held back until the second or third episode to accomodate a US-premiere.
As Enter unleashes a Flame-Mech onto the city, the Rangers put aside their differences. Virus's backstory is revealed.
- The Gorilla Truck and Rabbit Copter clean up the mess from the previous battle while Blue and Yellow complain in the Zord cockpits.
- Blue takes on Enter at a junkyard, but does badly and gets caught by his tentacle-wires.
- In a flashback, Virus starts taking over computer systems, causing a robo to break loose and Armor-Bots to be created.
- In the junkyard, a Flame Robo begins to be transported away.
- The three Rangers take on Flame-Mech in a hard-fought battle, during which they show off their personal powers (Red has super-speed, Yellow has super-jumping and Blue has super-strength). As Yellow and Blue hold Flame-Mech still, Red combines the Binocular Blade and Lens Blaster together to form the Spy Shooter with which he destroys the team's foe (a countdown-timer is present throughout this fight).
- As the countdown timer nears zero the Ace Megazord, Gorilla Truck and Rabbit Copter are launched.
- The Flame-Robo arrives in the city and starts attacking the energy tank. The Ace Megazord takes on Flame-Robo, transforming into the Cheetah Zord to take on two Grey-Robos that are released, while Rabbit Copter puts out the numerous fires and Gorilla Truck clears the streets of cars.
- After having a sword transported to it from the base, the Ace Megazord triumphs over Flame-Mech. Afterwards, it rejoins the other two zords (during which the Rabbit Copter shoots the Ace Megazord in the head briefly!).
Standard teamwork episode, and the Gorilla Truck and Rabbit Copter make their debut. A lot of backstory is also given in this episode as well as displaying the Rangers genetic powers for the first time. The countdown timer is used again, so it seems that this will be a recurring feature leaving it unknown how a US adaption would handle it (they could integrate it, or possibly have a version of the episode without the graphic sent by Toei). How much of the battle against Enter could be used depends on if his costume is adapted or not.
Mark's guess: Straightforward adaptation, however I'm not sure how the personal powers will be handled by Power Rangers since all three have been used in PR before (Super-speed was used in Dino Thunder, while super-strength and super-jumping were used in Operation Overdrive).
The Rangers battle to save a hospital from having its energy drained by Enter's latest creation.
- From the Junkyard, a Medi-Robo begins to be transported.
- The Rangers take on Armor-Bots in a hospital reception.
- Later, the Rangers take on more Armor-Bots as the hospital begins to lock-down. Blue manages to make it outside and calls the base.
- In the Rangers' underground base, Blue and GorillaDroid board the Gorilla Truck (which gains a face) which is then launched.
- Red and Yellow continue to fight more Armor-Bots while Medi-Mech continues to drain energy from the hospital.
- The Gorilla Truck transforms into an animal mode and heads towards the energy tank to get charged. While doing so, however, the Medi-Robo lands in the city.
- As the sun sets, the Gorilla Zord finishes charging and takes on Medi-Robo, starting off by firing banana-missiles (!) which score direct hits.
- Outside the hospital, Red and Yellow take on and destroy Medi-Mech with the Binocular Blades. They then notice the hospital is starting to shut down due to the energy theft.
- The Gorilla Zord is blasted by Medi-Robo which then starts to drain it of the collected energy. The Cheetah Car arrives and transforms into the Ace Megazord which takes on Medi-Robo.
- As the Gorilla Zord tries to swing across the underside of a bridge, one of the supports gives way and it falls into the water. The distraction allows Medi-Robo to get in some hits against the Ace Megazord which responds by transforming into the Cheetah Car and slicing it with its blade tail-fin. Transforming back into the Ace Megazord, Medi-Robo is quickly destroyed by its finisher.
- Reaching the now powerless hospital, the dripping-wet Gorilla Zord plugs itself in allowing its energy to be transferred. The hospital and its patients are saved.
Standard 'Rangers learn to work together' episode, and the Gorilla Truck's Zord mode makes its debut. Once again, a countdown timer appears (but it's not around as long this time) and there's a subtitle when the Gorilla Truck is launched in this episode. The opening fight has Japanese writing prominently in the background, so this would need to be refilmed but otherwise most of this episode could be used.
Mark's guess: Straightforward adaptation.
Enter divides up the Rangers in an attempt to drain an energy tank.
- The Ace Megazord stands motionless in its bay while several workers mill around it.
- A Cutter-Robo begins to be transported from the Junkyard.
- The Rangers take on Cutter-Mech briefly (as CheetahDroid stands in the background) before he vanishes. They then hear something in the distance and head off.
- Blue and Yellow confront Cutter-Mech outside a warehouse and shoot him with their Lens Blasters, causing it to vanish. CheetahDroid then runs up to an injured Red as the Rangers discuss the situation.
- Blue and Yellow take on Cutter-Mech, while Cutter-Robo lands in the city and heads towards the main energy tank.
- Cutter-Robo begins cutting into the energy tank before the Ace Megazord turns up. As Blue and Yellow continue their fight with Cutter-Mech, the Ace Megazord struggles against its opponent.
- With the Megazord stunned, the Cutter-Robo successfully cuts into the energy tank and starts drawing out the power. Gorilla Truck and Rabbit Copter arrive to back-up the Megazord however both do just as badly.
- Blue and Yellow are blasted by Cutter-Mech's buzzsaws. After a discussion, the two take on Cutter-Mech with a renewed vigor, scoring hits with their Binocular Blades.
- As the three zords are blasted again by Cutter-Robo, Red begins to store up power for a single attack (causing a brief argument with CheetahDroid in the cockpit).
- Blue and Yellow use the Binocular Blades to send Cutter-Mech's buzzsaws back towards him, and eventually destroy him with the Lens Blasters.
- With its power at 100%, the Ace Megazord throws its sword at Cutter-Robo which blocks it with its forcefield. However the Megazord then forces it through while Cutter-Robo cuts into the Megazord's chest (where the cockpit is). Later, we see the Megazord's sword has gone into Cutter-Robo's head (!) while Cutter-Robo's saw stopped mere inches from Red. Both are left inactive, and the Cutter-Robo eventually falls (where, unlike normal, it doesn't explode). The saw falls from the (now perfectly-still) Ace Megazord, letting sunlight into the darkened cockpit.
This episode focuses on the Rangers' relationship with their commander while also showing some progress in Enter's plan to steal energy for Virus. The countdown timer appears again briefly, and its now clear this is a regular feature. As I expect Toei would send 'clean' versions of the footage to Saban, I'm no longer going to note this.
Mark's guess: It's unknown if the command staff will be adapted for PR, so its anyone's guess really. I could see the shot of Cutter-Robo's head being sliced into removed.
The Rangers are sent to escort an energy shipment, but things go wrong when a mech attacks. Yellow is left traumatised when she witnesses Blue's weakness first-hand.
- In a mecha bay, people work around the intact Cutter-Robo from the last episode.
- Bike-Mech chases a car but is shot by the Lens Blaster (off-screen) and falls over. Later he resumes the chase and dodges the blasts.
- Blue and Yellow climb out of their vehicle and take on Bike-Mech who is joined by Armor-Bots which take on Yellow. Blue summons his super-strength and stuggles against Bike-Mech to the point where he starts to overheat and emit smoke. Eventually Blue crushes Bike-Mech's hands. Blue suddenly goes through an attitude change and begins to fight Bike-Mech quite violently before trying to shoot it with the Lens Blaster despite it trying to get away.
- Red rides the Cheetah Cycle alongside an out-of-control truck carrying the city's energy. He shoots out the tires causing it to stop.
- Blue continues to try and shoot a backing-away Bike-Mech. Yellow contacts someone through her morpher as Blue begins to physically beat up Bike-Mech mericlessly. She then tries to stop Blue but he shoves her aside and continues to pummel the Mech, before he throws it into the air and impales it on his Binocular Blade, destroying it.
- GorillaDroid, with a bag of ice around his head, emerges from a tunnel and starts running.
- From the mecha bay, the Cheetah Car and Rabbit Copter are launched.
- The CheetahDroid transforms into the Cheetah Cycle while Yellow enters the Rabbit Copter's cockpit. The two then leave, with Yellow escorting the truck while Red rides off in an opposite direction. In her cockpit, Yellow holds up a box of the sweets she eats to keep her from succumbing to her weakness.
- The Ace Megazord arrives in the city and takes on Bike-Robo.
- Red is left frozen in the cockpit (after being exposed to a picture of a chicken) and struggles to start moving again. The Ace Megazord is therefore frozen in place too, and Bike-Robo takes the opportunity to escape.
- The Rabbit Copter is hit by several blasts, as Bike-Robo starts to chase down the truck. The Rabbit Copter takes it on but doesn't do too well and is hit. As Bike-Robo falls and narrowly misses crushing the truck, the Rabbit Copter is saved from crashing by the Gorilla Truck. Yellow and Blue converse with each other, and although Yellow is initially uneasy she gives him a thumbs-up.
- The Rabbit Copter takes off and shoots Bike-Robo before it can destroy the truck, then transforms into the RabbitZord and takes on Bike-Robo directly. It proves to be too quick and gets in several hits before kicking it into the sky. Bike-Robo then crashes into the Ace Megazord, just as
- Red starts moving again. The Ace Megazord then quickly destroys Bike-Robo.
Primarily Yellow focus. Blue's weakness is revealed to be a tendancy to overheat if put under too much stress, causing him to go berserk to the point that he nearly punches Yellow when she tries to stop him. The RabbitZord is introduced in this episode. Blue's fight against Bike-Mech is quite violent, and would almost certainly be toned down (especially the nature of Bike-Mech's destruction). The question of how much of the truck footage could be retained depends upon if the energy angle of the show's premise is ported over and keeps the same name ('Enetron').
Mark's guess: It depends upon if the genetic powers and weaknesses are adapted (which I can see happening), but if they are then I can see this as a mostly straightforward adaptation, albeit with some of the violence toned down.
The Rangers struggle to form the Buster Megazord, while Enter manages to infiltrate their base.
- In a simulation, the three Rangers take on a Robo while attempting to form the Buster Megazord however they fail.
- In the mecha bay, the enemy symbol on Cutter-Robo suddenly flies away.
- The Rangers take on Armor-Bots in an undreground industrial area.
- Cutter-Robo suddenly activates, and sends two missiles towards the Rangers which are present. They miss, but fly down the hallway and blow up a security door.
- The Rangers attempt to run down the corridor, but are grabbed by Enter's tentacles while a back-up security door begins to shut.
- Extinguisher-Mech holds the tentacles trapping the Rangers. Blue uses his super-strength to break through the wires and send a protesting Red through the doors before they shut. Red then contacts Blue through his morpher and the two talk, before Red runs off through the base while Blue and Yellow take on Extinguisher-Mech.
- Red boards the Ace Megazord and has it launched. It heads towards the space where Cutter-Robo is due to emerge, but is then attacked by Extinguisher-Robo.
- Yellow blasts Extinguisher-Mech and destroys his main weapon (a fire extinguisher that sprays corrosive gas) with her Lens Blaster.
- The Ace Megazord struggles against Extinguisher-Robo, while in the mecha bay Blue and Yellow form the Spy Shooters and blast Extinguisher-Mech, destroying it. Cutter-Robo then reactivates and blasts the two Rangers with its missiles.
- The Gorilla Truck and Rabbit Copter arrive to help the Ace Megazord against Extinguisher-Robo, which attempts to use its corrosive spray. However the Ace Megazord grabs it and points it towards the door to the mecha bay causing it to melt. Blue and Yellow then jump out just before the explosion and are caught by their Zords.
- Extinguisher-Robo is joined by Cutter-Robo and the two blast the Ace Megazord. The Rangers then decide to form the Buster Megazord, and the Ace Megazord blasts the two Robos as the others begin transforming. During the combining sequence, the Zords are protected by an barrier which deflects the attacks from the two Robos. Finally, the Buster Megazord is formed and a sword is transported to it from the base.
- The Buster Megazord shields itself from the Robo's attacks then charges up its sword and slashes its two foes, finally destroying the two of them.
Megazord introduction episode, as well as minor Red focus. After thirty years, Toei finally explains why an enemy can't attack during a Megazord transformation sequence. The events of the fourth episode (Cutter-Robo allowing itself to be captured by the Rangers to study) play a large part of this story, as Enter takes advantage of the situation to learn the location of the Rangers base.
Mark's guess: Straightforward adaptation (assuming Enter is included in Power Rangers).
The Ace Megazord is left out of commission when an inexperienced maintenence worker makes a mistake.
- In the mecha bay, the Ace Megazord is put back together after it's disassembly to form the Buster Megazord earlier.
- The Rangers fight Armor-Bots in a trainyard, dodging their fire before taking them with their weapons. After the Armor-Bots are defeated, the Rangers regroup before taking off in separate directions.
- Inside Red's Zord cockpit, CheetahZord realises something is wrong as the curcuitry starts to go haywire.
- Train-Mech runs along a railway line, drawing energy from the overhead cables. Blue spots him and uses the Lens Blaster, in camera mode, to create the illusion of the train coming towards him making Train-Mech turn around. When Blue cuts off the other direction, Train-Mech jumps onto the platform and flees the station. Blue contacts Yellow through his morpher, as she uses the Rabbit Copter to scout the city.
- Red takes on Train-Mech with his Binocular Blade, however he sees a weather vane in the shape of a chicken causing him to freeze (in a comical pose). Train-Mech speeds off, as Blue and Yellow destroy the chicken and rejoin Red who then uses his super-speed (combined with a push-start from Blue's super strength) to catch up to Train-Mech. The three Rangers then take on Train-Mech together, eventually destroying it with powered slashes from their Binocular Blades.
- Train-Robo arrives with two Grey-Robos, which couple themselves to Train-Robo in the style of... well, a train. The three then prepare to head towards an Energy Tank. The Rangers are informed of this through their morphers.
- With the Ace Megazord out of action, the GorillaZord takes on Train-Robo however is blasted by the Grey-Robos. The Rabbit Copter arrives and blasts the three foes.
- As the GorillaZord and Rabbit Copter start to become overwhelmed, the Ace Megazord finally arrives and the Buster Megazord is immediately formed and quickly destroys Train-Robo and the two Grey-Robos.
First filler episode of the series, as well as focusing on a character-of-the-day. Nothing really remarkable happens in this episode, although Enter's plan to create Train-Mech in order to draw energy from the railway system is an interesting one.
Mark's guess: Nothing to stop it getting adapted, however the series would lose nothing if it was skipped.
Blue is reunited with an old friend, as Enter attempts to steal plans for the newly-developed FrogZord.
Power Rangers take on the Kamen Riders.